28.2.08

It has traveled with me to many places


This bag was a gift from my mother for my graduation. It is a handmade bag from a woman in Chicago...made of toile print cotton and is very nicely made. I love this style of black and white fabric which is kind of feminine and classic, but the type of bag is more utilitarian. It is a very comfortable size for me and I like wearing the cross body strap. I have used this bag for so many things and it has traveled with me to many places. In fact, it has suffered from its use a lot...the strap is tearing and the fabric has discolored and faded from so much use. Most often I have used this bag as a very nicely sized book bag. I have carried this bag during many exhibition installations so many times is has become a tool bag, holding tape measures, screwdrivers, pliers, materials and hardware, etc. I carried this bag on a trip to Hungary a couple summers ago....this bag was so valuable to carry anything I needed....translation dictionary, fan, mosquito repellent, sketchbook, camera. It was also useful to hold collected things...I found many interesting natural objects like leaves and thistles...but also enjoyed shopping for beautiful embroidered linens and small souvenirs (paprika is a Hungarian specialty spice!). In Hungary, the grocery store does not provide bags, so many, many times my bag was used to carry our food home which was a long hot walk. So, this bag has carried many sausages, breads, fruits, peppers, chocolates, vodka and even a few beers!I love this bag very much, but it looks so sad these days...In the future I will try to repair it and make it look fresh again.
By Kristina

No comments: